November 20, 2019
THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY TRAVEL TIPS
SANTA ANA, Calif. – As the busy holiday travel season quickly approaches, airports across the country are anticipating another year of record passenger volume. The Thanksgiving holiday is one of the most heavily traveled periods, and passengers traveling through John Wayne Airport (JWA) between Friday, November 22 and Monday, December 2 will experience higher-than-normal passenger traffic.
“Thanksgiving is a perfect time to give thanks and celebrate with family and friends,” said Orange County Board of Supervisors Chairwoman Lisa Bartlett. “As passengers take to the skies during the Thanksgiving holiday, we wish everyone safe and pleasant travels.”
Passengers are encouraged to plan accordingly to avoid delays and enjoy stress-free holiday travel. Review the following tips to go from curbside, and through security checkpoints to arrive at your gate efficiently.
- All passengers are encouraged to arrive 90 minutes to two hours before scheduled departure times for domestic flights and three hours for international flights to find parking, check luggage, and go through security screening.
- Curbside Valet Parking is available for $30/day and is located on the Departure (upper) Level curbside between Terminals A and B and Terminals B and C. On your return, call 949-252-6260 or 2-4018 from any White Courtesy phone for faster service. Download the free ‘FlashValet’ mobile app to drop-off and pick-up your vehicle via text or pay for your Valet Parking service from the convenience of your cell phone.
- Parking Structures A1, A2, B2, and C are located adjacent to and directly across from the Riley Terminal at a rate of $2/hour up to $20/day. The Main St. Parking Lot located at 15132 Main St. in Irvine is available for $14/day with free shuttle service to/from the Riley Terminal every 15 minutes.
- Electric Vehicle (EV) parking spots are located on Level 1 inside Terminal Parking Structures A, B, C and at the Main St. Parking Lot. Charging stations can quickly be identified by the EV reflective signage and parking space surface markings.
- Airport parking structures are likely to reach capacity during peak travel periods. Travelers should plan to check real-time parking availability online here or by calling 949-252-5200.
- Know the Transportation Security Administration’s 3-1-1 Liquids Rule for carry-on bags. Traveling with food tip: If you can spill it, spread it, pump it, or pour it, the TSA considers this item a liquid. View more TSA Thanksgiving travel tips here or a list of frequently asked TSA questions here.
- Members of TSA Pre✓® can expedite the screening process in Terminals A, B, and C.
- There are specific rules and exceptions for passengers traveling with infant care items. Visit TSA Tips for Traveling with Children for more information.
- International travelers should check the S. Customs and Border Protection website to ensure they have appropriate documentation for traveling to and from the United States. Passengers who are members of the Global Entry Trusted Traveler Program could expedite their Customs clearance into the U.S. at John Wayne Airport.
- Utilize the Cell Phone Waiting Lot or 2-hour parking spaces located on the lower level of Parking Structures A1, B2 and C. Vehicle access to the Terminal parking structures is available from the Departure (upper) Level only.
- Color-coded and numbered columns along the white curb on the Arrival (lower) Level roadway make meeting arriving passengers easy.
Ride Apps Uber, Lyft, and Wingz:
- Arriving guests should be aware of ride app pick-up locations on the Departure (upper) Level in Parking Structures A2 and B2 directly across from the Riley Terminal, and in Parking Structure C on Level 3 next to the Southwest ticketing area. Ride app drop-off locations are curbside on the Departure Level. More information is available here.
For more travel tips and additional information about John Wayne Airport, visit www.ocair.com.
To receive John Wayne Airport news releases automatically, go to www.ocair.com and click Subscribe.