HIGH QUALITY AIR SERVICE
NOT ONLY DOES JOHN WAYNE AIRPORT (JWA) OFFER CONVENIENT NONSTOP FLIGHTS to the destinations our outbound passengers want most, we also offer incredible opportunities for inbound passengers as well. Centrally located in Southern California, John Wayne Airport puts arriving travelers right where they want to be—close to the destinations they love.
"CENTRALLY LOCATED IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA, JOHN WAYNE AIRPORT PUTS ARRIVING TRAVELERS RIGHT WHERE THEY WANT TO BE—CLOSE TO THE DESTINATIONS THEY LOVE."
Situated between San Diego and Los Angeles, Orange County is close to dynamic business centers, world-class arts and entertainment, gorgeous beaches, premiere golf courses and shopping venues, not to mention favorite destinations like Disneyland and Knott’s Berry Farm. In Orange County alone, visitors can get to a wide variety of the destinations they love most in less than 30 minutes. Having a safe and convenient airport close to all these attractions is the ideal ticket to Southern California fun.
- In December, the Board of Supervisors extended our incentive program supporting Interjet and AirTran's continued nonstop passenger service to destinations in Mexico.
- The County also created a new domestic incentive program designed to encourage and promote nonstop air service to key unserved domestic markets. Specific destinations include the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area, Hawaii and others.
- We created an Air Service Development Task Force to focus on identifying and pursuing the in-demand air services Orange County wants most. JWA’s own research, and input from the Orange County Business Council (OCBC) and the Orange County Visitors Association (OCVA), put nonstop service to the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area at the top of the list.
- To encourage tourism and support a wide number of Orange County destinations, we displayed photos of local venues and attractions in our International arrivals waiting area. Working as a community partner with our local cities, we’re further publicizing Orange County as an ideal tourist spot.
- Because of the significance of our General Aviation Noise Ordinance (GANO) and Access Plan, and to help ensure compliance with our Settlement Agreement, we upgraded our Access/GANO noise monitoring system software, which includes a series of complex airline access rules, noise limits, curfews and reporting requirements that are specific to JWA. This upgrade has significantly improved functionality, automation, data processing and the operating system, and now provides important off-site data storage.
- This year, the Airport began the environmental review of proposed amendments to the John Wayne Airport Settlement Agreement. Technical experts have begun preparing an Environmental Impact Report, which will be completed in 2014. This review will help the community and decision makers understand the environmental effects of extending the historic regulations that govern JWA facilities and operations.
Airline passenger traffic at John Wayne Airport increased in 2013 (serving 9.2 million passengers), compared to 2012 (serving 8.9 million passengers)—an increase of 4.2%.
Safety & Security
JOHN WAYNE AIRPORT CONTINUES TO PLACE TOP PRIORITY on maintaining a safe and secure environment for the traveling public, aviation partners, tenants and employees.
"JOHN WAYNE AIRPORT CONTINUES TO PLACE TOP PRIORITY ON MAINTAINING A SAFE AND SECURE ENVIRONMENT."
We continue to work closely with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), Transportation Security Administration (TSA), U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), Airport Police Services (APS) and Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting (ARFF) to ensure the smooth implementation of federally mandated security regulations and to provide for the safety of travelers in and around our Airport.
According to our 2013 Bi-annual Passenger Survey, JWA’s commitment to safety shines through. Respondents view JWA as a safe, clean airport with strong customer service and gave our facility “A” ratings for creating an environment where they feel safe and secure.
- In June, we successfully passed the FAA’s comprehensive Part 139 Annual Inspection with zero discrepancies, demonstrating the Airport’s commitment to the safety of the flying public and employees.
- We finalized our Airport Layout Plan, an FAA requirement which demonstrates that the airfield is in compliance with all federal and state requirements for operating a commercial airport.
- JWA reconfigured the rental car basement area to enhance traffic flow efficiency and maximize traveler safety, while also increasing tenant operational efficiencies.
- In December, we completed the seismic retrofit of the Departure (upper) Level roadway system. This remediation ensures that all structural elements of this roadway are current with the most stringent safety and seismic standards.
- JWA installed 800 MHz wireless communication in Terminal C, enabling Airport Police Services, TSA and Customs and Border Protection personnel to better communicate throughout the Riley Terminal.
- To further improve airport safety, JWA trained nine additional Emergency Response Team (ERT) members, bringing the total roster of trained employees up to 25.
The Explosives Detection Team at John Wayne Airport is one of only three teams nationwide in which the K-9 handlers are also certified bomb technicians.
Comfort & Convenience
WHEN IT COMES TO COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE, John Wayne Airport passengers have high expectations—and we deliver.
"WHEN IT COMES TO COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE, JOHN WAYNE AIRPORT PASSENGERS HAVE HIGH EXPECTATIONS—AND WE DELIVER."
Passengers can expect shorter wait times at security screening checkpoints—we work closely with the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to ensure the screening process is as smooth as possible. We also ensure passenger comfort in other areas, by offering access to more nonstop air service, a wide variety of concessions, convenient parking and time-saving security screening programs like TSA’s Pre√™ and CBP’s Global Entry.
- We worked with TSA to expand the popular expedited screening program Pre√™ into Terminals B and C. Now travelers at JWA can take advantage of their Pre√™ status at all three security checkpoints in the Riley Terminal.
- In conjunction with CBP, JWA also opened a Global Entry kiosk for travelers arriving from Mexico. Global Entry is a “trusted traveler” program allowing expedited CBP clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the U.S.
- In December, we facilitated the introduction of Paradies’ News and Gift mobile cart program—the first of John Wayne Airport’s Gate Service initiatives designed to increase passenger convenience and improve accessibility to retail items by passengers in the gate areas.
- We further extended our retail choices and welcomed two new Airport concessions, Brookstone and XpresSpa, completing the build out of our JWA Concessions Program. Brookstone offers a wide selection of lifestyle travel gadgets not widely available from other retailers; and XpresSpa is JWA’s only full-service spa offering relaxing massages, manicures/pedicures, waxing, facials and hair styling services.
- In November, JWA launched its redesigned website, www.ocair.com, offering essential information for travelers. With more than 100,000 website visits per month, the site features more intuitive navigation, real-time flight tracking, a new “Visit Orange County” section and improved graphics and maps.
- JWA also increased its social media presence. The Airport now has more than 12,000 “Likes” on Facebook and prominent website links to both Facebook and Twitter, providing another source of up-to-date information.
John Wayne Airport’s redesigned website gets an average of 100,000 visits per month—and we’re proud to report over 12,000 “Likes” on Facebook.
JOHN WAYNE AIRPORT NOT ONLY PROVIDES ESSENTIAL AIR SERVICE TO ORANGE COUNTY, we continue to operate as a financially efficient and self-supporting aviation facility
"DESPITE A STILL-RECOVERING GLOBAL ECONOMY, WE’RE PROUD THAT WE’VE BEEN ABLE TO MAINTAIN OUR EXCELLENT CREDIT RATINGS."
that receives no general tax fund revenue. Despite a still-recovering global economy, we’re proud that we’ve been able to maintain our excellent credit ratings, and will continue to focus on maintaining our strong financial position.
- During 2013, John Wayne Airport completed the redemption of the remaining 2003 series Airport Revenue Bonds—a full five years ahead of schedule. Retiring these bonds early resulted in interest savings of $3.1 million.
- John Wayne Airport’s Revenue Bonds are some of the highest rated among airports in the country. Our fiscal prudence and commitment to financial health is reflected by the consistently excellent credit ratings bestowed by the three major credit rating agencies. John Wayne Airport’s Revenue Bonds are currently rated as follows: Fitch AA-; Standard & Poor’s AA-; and Moody’s Aa3.
- John Wayne Airport's audited financial statements for the years ended June 30, 2013 and 2012, were issued with an unmodified "clean" opinion.
In 2013, John Wayne Airport paid off the Bonds that financed the construction of Terminals A and B— five years ahead of schedule, resulting in interest savings of $3.1 million.